Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Upgrading Samsung Galaxy S II To XXKI3 Firmware

After a successful firmware update to DXKI2 here, I must have been addicted to flashing. I can’t stop thinking which firmware to try. Custom ROMs where out though. I wanted to stick to the latest stock (official/leaked) firmware. I read over at XDA that 2.3.5 (XXKI3) was out. I checked out the comments over various sources in the internet and most of them point to a better battery charge life. Most of them also note improvements in performance. And so I went to try it out.


I went to my favourite source of stock firmware which is www.samfirmware.com and downloaded version XXKI3. After the download was complete I followed the same upgrade instructions as with my previous blog post. You can refer to it here:

http://edmundsspace.blogspot.com/2011/10/flashing-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-to-dxki2.html


After the update I noticed the performance improvements right away. Tapping on the back button gives you an amazingly fast feedback. Various performance can also be noticed like navigating the screen. A few hours of use and one thing I dislike was the removal of the off scroll bounce. Instead, you now get a soft blue glow whenever you over scroll. I could have lived with the update except for a problem I have with the internet connection via my carrier.


Where I originally get a 3G or H connection I can now only get an E. This is very important for me because I often use my phone’s data connection whenever I don’t have an available Wi-Fi connection. Checked CSC and it doesn't have GLB, XTE, or XTC. Hmm... I'm not really sure if it has something to do with the problem though. However, I'm thinking of flashing another CSC or just go back to DXKH2 or KI2. Have you guys tried out XXKI3? What are your experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment