Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Installing a new video card - MSI GTX 960 2G OC

In a previous post (you can click here), I upgraded upgraded a few parts of my aging desktop computer. To be specific, I replaced the Enforcer ATX-600W power supply with a more reliable Corsair VS450. I also replaced the case with a CoolerMaster N200.

I was, however, still debating whether to get a GTX 950 or a GTX 960. I really am not a heavy gamer. I do not even own any title for the year 2005 onward. Nevertheless, I'd like to have the capability to do decent 1080p gaming when/if I want to. Based on reviews, both cards should do well at their price level. The GTX 950 is a good card but, the price difference of the GTX 960 compared to the GTX 950 is not that high, I ended up getting the GTX 960 from MSI.

Here's how the package looks like:



You'll get the actual video card, a user guide, an 8-pin power adapter, and the software CD.

Removed my old GT 220. Now the PCIE port is free!!!


Next step is to make sure the card aligns properly with the port and slowly push it into place. Here's how the card looks like without the 8-pin power cable connected.


This card consumes 2 slots on the case. Remove both slots and secure the card with 2 screws:


The logo on the card itself has a WHITE LED. There's no option to change the color but you have the option to change the patter from a steady white, breathing, flashing, or double flashing. This can easily be set by the MSI software that's in the disc that came with the card.


Are you using the same video card model? Are you satisfied with your purchase?

No comments:

Post a Comment