Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Poor performance on the Sun Cellular 3G network

I have previously posted about how satisfied I was with our PLDT DSL connection. You can refer to this link to check it out.

I, however, am not satisfied with the speed Sun Cellular 3G provides. In the past couple days, I have performed numerous speed tests on my Iphone 5S to see how it fared and it fared badly. The reason why I did these tests was that I have been called by a Sun Cellular representative offering me their pocket Wi-Fi product. I was told that they now have "fast" internet speeds. I have declined on, at least, 2 occasions.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, I used my mobile phone to test the network speed on a 3G connection and got, at best, 1.11 Mbps for download and a fairly good 1.59 Mbps maximum upload. These tests were done in Labangon and IT park areas.

I did not take a screenshot of the individual tests but here's a summary of a few tests that I made.






Mind you, this is not a problem with the phone as I could get about 3 Mbps using a Globe SIM on the same area. Last year, I tested Smart LTE at IT Park and was able to get over 20 Mbps for download.

I have been a loyal Sun Cellular subscriber for a few years now. My main reason for staying with Sun is their unlimited call/text options for Sun to Sun. This is really helpful since I could communicate with my family without the burden of having to take note of the minutes I used. A lot of the people I work with also use Sun.

Are you using Sun Cellular? Do you know which areas in Cebu I could get the best internet speeds for mobile data?

No comments:

Post a Comment